Friday, January 9, 2009

How God helps two brothers choose where to play football

Below is a link to an interesting article I read on Sports Illustrated's web site. It tells the story of Arthur Brown Jr., now a linebacker at Miami, and his brother, Bryce, a senior at Wichita East High School in Kansas. Arthur was offered several D-1 football scholarships before choosing Miami, and now Bryce is in the same situation. The article explains what each brother took into account while making his descion.

Nowadays, college recruiters pull out all the bells and whistles for top athletic prospects. These high schools seniors get VIP treatment during their recruiting trips, following around the university's star players who are usually treated as kings on campus. Coaches and players even travel to the prospects' hometowns to woo them with what their programs have to offer.

I'm sure it's easy to get caught up in all of this. At 18, I know I would have. I think if Joe Paterno showed up my door today and asked me to shine his shoes I would! Let alone play for him.

Amidst all of the recruiting hoopla, the Brown brothers took a different approach in making their decisions. As Arthur stated in a letter to his mother before making his final decision, "I left it in His hands."

And now, as younger brother Bryce's decision process comes to fruition, he simply states, "I'm not going to be swayed by the nicest stadium and Miami's promising future. I just want God's will to be done."


Click here to read the full article by Kevin Armstrong.

No comments: